Are You Suffering from Contact Dermatitis?
Have you ever suffered from contact dermatitis? Chances are, you have. Contact Dermatitis is a type of eczema that occurs when your skin comes in contact with something that results in a rash. Your skin can become red, itchy and swollen. The seriousness and extent of the rash/ condition depend on how long the irritant is present. There are two types of dermatitis: Irritant and Allergic.
Irritant dermatitis is the more common of the two conditions. Both common substances like soap, water, and food as well as toxic substances such as bleach and pepper spray can create an irritant dermatitis rash. Common causes of this condition include:
• Diaper Rash
• Dry, Cracked Hands due to Excessive Water Contact
Allergic dermatitis is an allergic skin reaction. This causes the body to release inflammatory chemicals that result in itchy, irritated skin. Common causes of allergic contact dermatitis include:
• Poison Ivy & Poison Oak
• Make-Up & Perfumes
If you are suffering from this condition:
• Avoid scratching your irritated skin. It can worsen the condition and cause infection.
• Make sure your skin is clean. Use a mild soap and warm water to rinse your skin.
• Avoid products you think might be irritating your skin.
• Use an anti-itch cream and take an antihistamine.
If the condition persists, further treatment or patch testing may be needed. Schedule an appointment with Coastal Skin Surgery & Dermatology today.